SOCIAL MEDIA USE CONTRIBUTING DEPRESSION, ANXIETY AND STRESS TO UNIVERSITY STUDENT
Social media use with high intensity is happening in adolescence, they are interact each other by social media. it triggers health problems, not only physical health but also mental health. The aims of this research was to analyze the effect of social media use on depression, anxiety and stress among university students. the research design was cross sectional study, and the sample was 80 students taken by simple random sampling. independent variable was social media use and dependent variable were depression, anxiety and stress. data take by using social media addiction scale, and depression, anxiety, stress scale (DASS 21). it was analyzed by using Manova statistic test. the result showed that 65 students (81.5) was medium user, 9 students (11.5%) light user and 6 students (7.5%) as heavy user. the Manova test showed that P Value at Depression was 0.03, Anxiety got 0.04 and the p Value for stress was 0.02. it means that there was effect of social media use to depression, anxiety and stress.
2. Husna N. Fenomenologi Komunikasi Generasi Z [Internet]. 2018. Available from: https://binus.ac.id/malang/2018/02/fenomenologi-komunikasi-generasi-z/
3. Guntuku SC, Yaden DB, Kern ML, Ungar LH, Eichstaedt JC. Detecting depression and mental illness on social media: an integrative review. Curr Opin Behav Sci. 2017;18:43–9.
4. Monica Cepoiu JMGCSBC. Recognition of Depression by Non-psychiatric Physicians—A Systematic Literature Review and Meta-analysis. J Gen Intern Med. 2008;23(1):25–36.
5. Younes F, Halawi G, Jabbour H, Osta N El, Karam L, Hajj A, et al. Internet addiction and relationships with insomnia, anxiety, depression, stress and self-esteem in university students: A cross-sectional designed study. PLoS One. 2016;11(9).
6. J. Al-Menayes J. Dimensions of Social Media Addiction among University Students in Kuwait. Psychol Behav Sci. 2015;4(1):23.
7. Dwiputra KO. Krisna Octavianus Dwiputra [Internet]. 2018. Available from: https://www.klikdokter.com/info-sehat/read/3617250/generasi-z-rentan-terserang-gangguan-mental
Copyright (c) 2019 Syiddat B
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.